My soul knows my meat is doing bad things, and is embarrassed. But my meat just keeps right on doing bad, dumb things.


“I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.”

So, this was never meant to be a religious blog. Yes, I am a Christian; however I was not intending to be preaching in any of these. I didn’t realize that by mentioning my personal struggles that it would make people think about Him (God)… I just figured it would help people reflect on their own life. I forgot I am not the only one who has issues with Him. SO- Let’s talk about God. He seems like a cool enough guy to write about.

I spoke to an old friend a while ago. We went to a Christian school together. I think all the kids from our graduation class have dumped our “Christian Education” down the drain. Some of us are coming back; some of us want nothing to do with it. I wasn’t intending to write about all this originally but it is gnawing at me so here it goes!

“They say that God is everywhere, and yet we always think of Him as somewhat of a recluse.”

I will admit when I want God around I can’t find him. On the same point, I usually want Him around when I am FUBARing everything. When it is going well you don’t think so much about it. I actually do talk to Him more when things are going well. Mom did a good job teaching me manors, I usually remember to say thank you. It is usually when I am sinning that I want Him around but feel too guilty to ask for help. I had a friend tell me once that he has wanted to pray for a long time, but didn’t want God to think he was too selfish.

“God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.”

When I think of God, I think of a guy I would go to Greenies (my bar) with. I think He is the kind of guy you could find some booth, sit down, light a cigarette, and talk about how much you hate your job, the area, kids, relationships, or even sex. I bet God would be awesome to talk about sex with. I just can’t see Him as some stand offish being, that is just watching us fail. I think He would like to be invited to the bar, watch a game, talk about music, play cards. I think God would be a great guy to hang around.

My mom will choke when she reads this, but I think He was be a little like Kurt Vonnegut: funny if you get his sense of humor, maybe a touch of cynicism, but still holding on to hopefulness. How could he not be a cynic? Look at what the human race has done! I’m not bashing on Him at all. I just want everyone to know they are lucky he is God and not me. The human race would not have made it this far.


“If there's one thing I know it's God does love a good joke.”

Can anyone say free will? The thing is He gave it to us so we could have the choice to love Him or not. Most choose not. God is like the rich kid without any real friends. People want Him around and will be nice when they want something from Him. As soon as He gives it to us we dip out.

ANYWAYS! Have you ever thought about the fact that people make choices and those are the things that make your life so bad? Even when people get sick for no reason! Someone chose to do the one thing God said not to, and brought all the sickness and junk on us. So really had God done anything to harm us? Just free will I guess… All the horrible things in life that make people hate God so much are actually the choices we make or that others affect us with.
I don’t think free will is such a bad idea, until I realize that other people have it also.

“What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?”
What do we even want to believe? How is it that we cling to the hope that Elvis, and Tupac- people we would never have the chance to really have a relationship with- but a God who wants nothing more than a friendship is the most outlandish idea?

“I cannot believe in a God who wants to be praised all the time.”

I can. Think about it… When you love someone you want to be with them, talk about them, think about them, and anything else that involves them. Isn’t that worshiping? It is the same with books, movies, games, hobbies, and everything else. God doesn’t want you to be holding him at arm’s length… He wants you to want you there with him. If I was God I would hate organized religion for screwing everything up for him. Organized religion is like a gossip magazine with God on the cover. They never tell the whole story or anything flattering. It is giving Him a bad rap.

“You can't be angry with God and not believe in him at the same time.”

I am glad I’m not God. He is the ultimate scapegoat. I have never understood how people can say they don’t believe in God, but have no issue putting the blame on Him when something goes wrong. Yes, a relationship with God is a love hate one. All love on His side, and hate on ours. I did notice when I actually tried to live life the way I should, that it rocked. But, like I have said before, we have a tendency to get cocky when things go well. I do. I come to the conclusion that I must have done something right and that I can do it all on my own. Silly humans. Poor God.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.... I would only believe in a God who knew how to dance.”

No comments:

Post a Comment